What is a housing co-op?
- A legal association of members
- Members own the co-op, the co-op owns the housing
- Members work together to create a viable business and a co-operative community
- A co-op is a home, not an investment
- Goal is security of tenure, not equity
What the co-op will expect from you:
- Pay your housing charges on time
- Follow the co-op’s rules and policies
- Keep your unit in good condition
- Be a good neighbour
- Get involved in the co-op
All co-ops, including housing co-ops, are guided by the co-operative principles:
- open membership
- democratic member control
- economic participation
- co-operative education
- co-operation with other co-operatives
How do I apply for co-op housing?
Most co-ops have waiting lists. The standard wait to get into a housing co-op is between three months and three years.